Sunday 9 February 2014

Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys

Based purely on the lyrics, this is my favourite album of the last few years. I think Elbow's Guy Harvey, is one of the best lyricists around. In particular, Lippy Kids' lyrics are so evocative. It's a song about growing up, especially that point in life when you transition from child to young adult. The lyric "One long june I came down from the trees and, kerbstone cool, you were freshly painted angel walking on walls, stealing booze and hourlong hungry kisses." is one of my favourites of any song or artist. Other songs I love are "Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl", apparently about Garvey's first girlfriend and things that were important to him and the band when they were in the their early days, and "The Night Will Always Win" which is about loss and absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment